March 6 – 8, 2015 – This year we were really lucky – we got 3 day tickets for PAX East and scored a room at the Westin attached to the convention center. So, what does PAX look like to us?
- Various video games while waiting in lines for the main hall. Still not beating Faster than Light. Also getting to the main hall line 2.5 hours early so we can get seats really really close to the stage.
- Good food. We brought danish, applesauce and juice drinks for breakfast, got lots of venti iced mochas from Starbucks, discovered some great pasta and cashew nut chicken and rice bowls a the convention center, and went to Legal Test Kitchen (LTK) a few times. Favorites from LTK included their lobster truffle mac ‘n cheese, fried fish tacos, and anything with scallops.
- Fun speakers. We particularly enjoyed hearing story time by Telltale Games, Rooster Teeth, Chainsawsuit Live (funniest guys we’ve every seen in person… “Team Murder Dad” anyone?), anything by Mike and Jerry from Penny Arcade, and the Acquisitions Inc. D&D (“Is this whole room a zone of truth? …”).
- Concerts. We really enjoy the concerts, and particularly liked hearing Super Guitar Bros and watching Bitbrigade provide video game music during a live play through of Metroid.
- Exploring the Expo Hall. This year’s slow shuffle showed us a lot of up and coming indie game developers with very well-developed concepts. Most games appeared to be Betas, though we did see one pre-Alpha.